Thursday, May 04, 2006

My name is....

Hello,

I doubt if anybody is reading this, but what the hell 'eh, it's sort of like free therapy.

My name's Gareth and I'm an Animator hailing from the sunny shores of Merthyr Tydfil in the South Wales Valleys, you know, where Tom Jones is from! I'm starting this blog because I want to chart my progress through Animation Mentor which I'm starting in July. Of course for any non-animators reading this you won't have the foggiest what I'm on about, in which case, best be moving on, nothing to see here.

Thought I'd best post a bit of info about myself, so here goes.

I've wanted to be an Animator since I was a kid, I've always dreamt of working for Disney. I was lucky enough to be living 15 minutes from a well-respected Animation school, called the 'Glamorgan Centre for Art & Design Technology' (GCADT). I enrolled in 1996 and after 3 great years of learning Animation, making great friends and playing a lot of football, I graduated in 1999.

I walked straight into a job as a Computer Animator at a Games Production house in West Yorkshire where I worked for 18 months, before becoming a Lead Animator for a CG Animation Production Company in Cardiff in South Wales. I worked there for close to 2 years before moving to work as a Visual FX Artist, still in Cardiff, working on the children's TV series 'Fireman Sam'. Whilst there I started doing a bit of part-time teaching back at GCADT on the Computer Animation course and I set up my own Free-Lance Animation Company 'Good Egg Productions'.

Now I'm working Full-Time as a Computer Animation Lecturer as well as doing bits of free-lance animation here and there, but the dream of working in Features Animation hasn't dimmed. So I've enrolled on Animation Mentor, because I want to learn as much as I can from the guys in the trenches animating features for a living and I can't wait to begin!

Gc

No comments: